I have been working through the Ruby exercises on exercism.io from time to time for seven months. It provides a great resource to practise writing code in different ways. Yesterday I found a small wrinkle and had an opportunity to give something back.
A very small bug
I was working through the
crypto-square exercise and one of the tests didn’t seem right. This was the first time I’ve ever questioned a test from exercism.io, so I wasn’t sure what to do. Once I’d submitted my first iteration I looked through the other submissions and found the magic number
I decided it was probably a bug, so I went GitHubbing. It didn’t take long to discover the exercism/xruby repository where all the Ruby exercises live and an open issue reporting the bug!
With the bug confirmed, I fixed the broken test and opened a tiny pull request. To my delight, @kytrinyx merged my change the same day and hinted that there were a few more test cases in the C# version. I’ve never worked with C#, but the test cases were surprisingly easy to read. I ported several extra tests to Ruby, opened a second pull request and it was merged shortly after.
I was encouraged by this encounter and look forward to contributing to exercism.io again.